Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rachel's Goals

Dear Abby,

You are so seriously the best sister and friend in the entire world.  I am SO lucky to have you and because I know how much you mean to me, it is my mission in life to have a daughter and give her a sister.  There is just nothing better.  So here we go... let's be each other's cheerleaders!!  I am certain that together you and I can achieve anything we set our minds to!

So, to that end here's a little summary of my current situation and my goals.  I currently weigh 169 lbs... not the worst and I'm not broken up over it.  (Thanks, Zoloft!)  Considering that on Monday morning I weighed 173 lbs, I'd say I'm doing pretty well!  I'm certain that was a result of 10 days worth of eating out and most of what I lost is likely water weight on account of the reduction in sodium intake I likely just experienced.  Upon our return from San Diego, Seth and I promised to clean up our eating and to take as many steps as we could to get healthy and to get his cholesterol levels in the good.  Specifically, here is what we said we'd do:


     1) Lose 6 lbs each (HDL should increase by one point with a 6 lb weight loss)
     2) Get at least 30 min of physical activity 5 days a week (more walks/runs together?)
     3) Avoid trans fats and up good fats-- eat more nuts and have fish twice per week
     4) Switch to Promise margarine, which contains plant sterols
     5) Fish oil with dinner every night
     6) Incorporate oats and flax into baked goods
     7) Switch juice to cranberry juice (if that's acceptable to you)
     8) More bean-based or bean-containing meals
     9) Switch dairy to fat-free and use less cheese (sorry)
     10) Make an effort to eat more "clean" foods (don't worry, I'll do the cooking)

That is a direct quote from the email I sent to Seth in response to his most recent lipid panel results.  So that's kind of what we're doing and we're going to make it work.  So here are my goals:

1) Get to a weight of 150 lbs (without eating too little or exercising too much).
2) Minimize the amount of processed foods I eat.
3) Reduce intake of added sugar and use only unrefined sweeteners when necessary.
4) Incorporate more fruit and veggies into my diet.
5) Exercise consistently.
6) Get over the need to binge.

Ultimately, my goal is to get to an ideal and comfortable place with my body and my health before Seth and I start trying to have a baby.  I want to happy with myself before I bring someone else into this world.  I think that's fair, don't you?

So far, so good.  I know I've only been back home for two days now, but I already feel a ton better.  I hate eating out all the time, it's too tempting to eat poorly and then I just end up feeling crappy.  The crazy thing is that when I was eating like that I was craving more and more and more sweet stuff, but the last three days I haven't had bad cravings at all even though Aunt Flo is around and she usually makes me want to stuff my face with sugar and chocolate.  I feel totally satisfied too.  Monday was a little tougher because we had no food in the house so I ate plain oatmeal sweetened with Truvia and sprinkled with cinnamon for breakfast and lunch.  We did have some chicken in the freezer that I baked coated in sesame seeds with some mixed veggies and brown rice for dinner.  For breakfast on Tuesday and today I had oatmeal boiled on the stove with a banana in it.  Then I added cinnamon, vanilla, a little maple syrup and sprinkle pecans on top.  So delish!  The first day I added Truvia, too, but it was too sweet, so I left that out today.  For a morning snack I had some plain, fat-free greek yogurt with honey on top.  For lunch I had leftover sesame chicken with baby carrots and a homemade walnut and dark chocolate chip granola bar.  Thanks for the recipe, Ab!  Unfortunately, I left out the brown sugar this time to try to cut down on the sweetness and I should have added more applesauce to compensate because they're a bit crumbly.  Still delicious though.  Last night for dinner we had pork cutlets lightly breaded with cornmeal and seasoning (no salt!) and pan fried in a teeny bit of olive oil with a side of steamed asparagus and raw nutella bites for dessert.  Yum!  Leftovers of the same is the plan for tonight.  I had an apple as a snack yesterday afternoon and there's a banana on my desk for today.  In addition to eating better, I also went on the elliptical for 35 minutes on Monday and Tuesday.  I have pilates tonight, which will be good because I can get a little exercise without overdoing it since I'm not feeling that great.  But at least I'll be moving!!

Where did this resolve come from, you ask?  I just don't know!  Probably a perfect storm... Seth's lipid panel results concerned me, the nutrition talks at the conference really got my interest, being around Chris and Melissa for a week made me realize how important it is for parents to be healthy if they want their kids to be healthy too, and eating out for so long made me really want to eat healthy again.  I had a very panicky feeling on the day we traveled back to Wisconsin because I was afraid of changing the way I eat, but I think I'm realizing just what a good choice it was and hopefully I can reach my goals.

I love you, Fisky sister!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment